Nominations are now open for the fifth annual Jonathan Jacoby Tikkun Olam Awards. These awards were created by the Social Action Committee to honor long-time Temple member, Jonathan Jacoby, who set an example for us all by his dedication to the work of tikkun olam, "repairing the world." One adult and one youth member will be selected for the award each year.
We hope many of you will consider nominating fellow congregants for this award. Click on Continue Reading for details on the nomination process.
Nominating Procedures (Nominations must be received no later than October 1, 2020.)
- Online (preferred method). A Nomination Form may be accessed and submitted by clicking on the link
2020 JJTO Award Nomination Form.
- By mail. Alternatively, print out the Nomination Form, and mail to: Social Action Committee, Attn: Jacoby Tikkun Olam Award; Beth El Temple Center; 2 Concord Avenue; Belmont, MA 02478
Be sure to include reasons for the nomination, such as anecdotes and examples of the nominee’s social action/justice service, and the impact/significance of such activities. Each submission should be limited to two pages. Thank you in advance for your thoughtful submissions.
Past honorees include: Rhiana Kohl, Julie Kremer, Amy Rosenstein, Sofia Bernstein, Jessica Daum, Will & Matthew Gladstone, Jeremy Ornstein, Olivia Weiss, Andrea Kramer, and Maria and Greg Jobin-Leeds. They have been recognized for making a difference in issues related to women's rights, gender equity, civil rights, healthcare (Alzheimer’s disease), food insecurity, refugee resettlement, Middle East peace, conservation efforts and environment sustainability, civic action, and racial justice.
Donations in their honor have been made to:
• Alzheimer’s Association
• Boston Mobilization (Sub/Urban Justice)
• Food Link
• Galapagos Conservancy
• Kids 4 Peace
• Planned Parenthood
• Refugee and Immigrant Assistance Center (RIAC)
• Secure Community Network (Jewish Federations of North America)
• The Mountain School of Milton Academy